WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
All women age 17-25 (GMS, DVC, Private) who are ordinarily resident in the State are eligible for this scheme, from the date of their 17th birthday to the day before their 26th birthday.
If you are 26 but you had a contraceptive device fitted before you were 26 and would now like to have the device removed, this removal is covered under the scheme.
You are ‘ordinarily resident’ if you have been living in the State for at least one year or you intend to live here for at least one year.
WHAT TYPES OF CONTRACEPTION ARE COVERED?
- Contraceptive pill, patch and ring.
- Mirena, Kyleena and Jaydess coils
- Implanon (the bar)
- Depo provera injection
- Emergency contraception – if you attend the GP for this there will be no charge but it can also be accessed free of charge from a Pharmacy.
IS THE COPPER COIL COVERED?
The copper coil is not currently covered. If you would like a copper coil the insertion will still be free of charge but you will have to pay for the coil.
WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO?
- Make an appointment for an initial contraceptive appointment with us and discuss which method is the one you would prefer and is the most suitable for you.
- We will send a prescription to your pharmacy and if necessary make an appointment to have your preferred device fitted.
- If you decide on the contraceptive pill, patch or ring you will be covered for 2 free visits per year, unless you are having problems.
- You will need to have your PPSN number for the doctor and for the pharmacist.